The stress of dealing with water damage can be overwhelming on its own, let alone when you add all the insurance-related hassle to it! In such events, it’s best to contact the experts. Successful water damage restoration services in San Diego, and the area, will know how to address the issue effectively and efficiently.
The licensed water repair professionals collaborate with insurance carriers and know how to invoice for all loss components, as well as create specifically tailored solutions to accommodate the particular needs of your carrier. What’s more, with their help, you can have your property thoroughly inspected for any hidden damage. This way, you’ll ensure that even if water damage strikes, your claim is not denied.
Why is my water damage claim denied?
If you are confused by a somewhat ambiguous language of policy documents, you should call professionals. Otherwise, you may overlook an endorsement or exclusion that clearly states why certain losses are not covered and end up being unpleasantly surprised when your claim is denied.
In order to determine if the water damage that your property has suffered will be covered, you should ask the following questions:
- What is the type of policy you purchased?
- What is a source of the damage?
- Is it a sudden, accidental or gradual damage?
Here is what you need to know to be able to navigate the claim filing process like a pro, and protect your interests:
- Flood damage is not covered by standard HO policies. So, if you live in an area that is under a higher risk of flooding, you should buy a separate flood damage policy.
- Gradual water damage is rarely covered.
- Sewer and drain backups are usually excluded.
- If your property is neglected, the carrier will probably deny the claim. (Policies usually state that the property needs to be maintained and heated year-round, as well as checked when unoccupied)
- Your claim must be complete, accompanied by pictures of the damage, necessary receipts, and detailed maintenance accounts.
How to avoid having my water damage claim denied?
- Keep track of all the repairs conducted on your property over the years. In the event of a loss, the carrier will need precise information, so you should have everything summarized in one place.
- It’s also highly advisable to choose a dependable water damage restoration company that will regularly inspect your home, uncover any potential issues, and repair them before they escalate.
- You should ensure that you fully understand all the policy provisions, and in case something is unclear, you request immediate assistance.
- Before purchasing insurance, make sure that the policy suits your needs and confirm whether or not you need to buy some extra coverage as well.
Can resulting damage be covered?
“Resulting damage” is another insurance term that you need to be acquainted with to understand why certain losses will or won’t be covered. Essentially, resulting damage is damage that occurs as a consequence of primary damage.
For example, if a tree falls on the roof, damages it, and leads to a pipe burst that causes a flood, the damage to the roof is considered primary damage, while the flood damage is considered resulting damage.
Remember, even if the primary damage is not covered under your policy, it doesn’t mean that the resulting damage won’t be. So, if you have any doubts about why your claim has been denied, don’t hesitate to consult with your agent and the insurance adjuster to clarify the reasons behind such a decision. After all, it is your right to gather all the information and request a second opinion if you deem it necessary.
Book the top water damage restoration services in San Diego and the nearby area
KIC Restoration specializes in a variety of water and mold remediation services. So, if you need someone to fix flood damage, conduct slab leak detection and repair, minimize the risk to your property, or eliminate mold caused by water damage once and for all, give us a call. Our long-lasting collaboration with reputable insurance carriers speaks volumes about our strong work ethics and integrity.
We will finish the job in a timely manner, without disrupting your plans, or making you reschedule an important business meeting. You can even use this time to clear your head at the exciting SeaWorld and blow off steam. All we want is to make this whole experience the least stressful as possible.