Mold is an enormous nuisance that appears unexpectedly and spreads quickly around the damp areas of your home. Not only will it destroy the appeal of your elegant San Diego residence, but it can harm your health as well. So, if you notice even the smallest amount of mold infestation, call affordable San Diego mold removal experts. They will be at your disposal and ready to address any concerns you may have, as well as give you useful advice on how to know if mold is making you sick.
However, aside from just having the mold eradicated from your apartment, it’s good to have it tested to identify the fungal strain and discover what caused it to spread around your property. Not every mold species is equally dangerous, so without knowing what you’re dealing with, it’s not recommendable to try to eliminate it on your own.
What are the different types of mold in homes?
Here are some of the most common types of mold that can be found in your property. They may be more or less dangerous but definitely require your full attention.
- Alternaria. This is one of the most common mold species, and you can often find it in dim and wet areas like the corners of your bathroom, shower, pantry and similar.
- Aspergillus. Unlike Alternaria that can be found both indoors and outdoors, Aspergillus is predominantly found inside. It usually provokes minor health issues like allergies, but it has also been connected to more serious health complications like respiratory infections.
- Chaetomium. If you have a drywall that has suffered water damage, it’s most likely that you are dealing with this particular mold species. It is characterized by a strong musty smell and is considered to be very toxic.
- Penicillium. This type of mold is often hiding inside carpeting and insulation. It spreads extremely quickly and can provoke severe allergic reactions and even lead to lung inflammation.
There are a few other mold species that you should be on the lookout for, including Fusarium, Trichoderma, Ulocladium, since they are quite widespread.
What kind of mold is dangerous?
Every mold can be considered dangerous because you can never know if it will create complications. A seemingly harmless allergy can turn into mold-induced asthma overnight and turn your life into hell. However, there are a few species that you should particularly avoid since they are considered highly-toxic:
- Stachybotrys, or better known as the black mold, can cause serious respiratory damage, so you should never try to deal with it on your own.
- Cladosporium. This type of mold appears on damp surfaces and is frequently present in our households. If you have an allergy to Cladosporium, you need to act quickly since it can develop into fungal sinusitis.
- Penicillium. Although quite common, this type of mold can be extremely dangerous. There are more than 200 species of Penicillium, and some of them can even lead to liver and kidney infections.
Can I remove black mold myself?
When it comes to dealing with such harmful mold spaces like this one, it is highly recommendable to contact professionals. They know how to tackle it efficiently and will take special precautions to avoid any potential health hazards.
Additionally, if you handle black mold on your own, without the use of special tools, you risk making the situation even worse. Spores can easily be released into the air, and that will cause mold to spread around your place and further accelerate its growth. Lastly, if you don’t have enough experience in battling mold, you are likely to skip some hidden spots where mold thrives at its best.
What should you do if you find black mold?
Act quickly, and contact the experts! This is the key to preventing further damage to your property and avoiding numerous health complications. However, while you’re waiting for the mold experts to arrive, you can reduce the exposure to it by spending less time in that part of your home. Or, if there is mold in your pantry, make sure to move all the food out of there and warn your children not to use it before the mold has been eradicated.
Looking for mold removal experts in San Diego and the area?
KIC Restoration is your best option! Our experts boast immense experience in providing mold remediation services. What’s more, they are ready to work around your schedule and go the extra mile to keep your house mold-free.
We are connected with several labs in San Diego, where mold testing can be performed, if necessary. Your safety is our main concern, and we will do everything in our power to keep your home clean and healthy. You’ll finally have some time to relax, and visit the exciting SeaWorld San Diego animal theme park, while we finish the work.