Slab leaks are a danger that many homeowners face. In the early stages, they might not seem like a dire threat to your concrete foundation, but they can cause massive damage if you don’t do anything about them.
However, fixing a leak in the slab is not a job you can do alone. After all, the condition of your home is at stake, and only the work of qualified San Diego slab leak repair experts will suffice.
To gain a better understanding of the fixing process, find out right here how much time repairing slab leaks takes. Additionally, make sure to go through the most common causes of slab leaks, as well as ways in which slab leaks manifest themselves so that you don’t get caught off-guard.
How long does it take to repair a slab leak?
Naturally, plumbers first have to pinpoint the exact location of the slab leak. They do this by employing advanced equipment that comprises pressure sensors, video pipe cameras and other devices. Then they can move on to repairing the leak.
In general, fixing a slab leak can take anywhere from 1 to 3 days to complete. However, the duration can vary, since it depends on two factors:
- The scale of the damage
- The repair method plumbers opt for
These two factors are closely related, which means that your plumber will choose the repair method after determining the extent of the damage. Typically, there are three ways to fix a leak in the slab:
- Opening the foundation: This method is quite common and includes cutting the foundation open, digging through the entire slab and replacing the burst pipe with a new one.
- Foam treatment: The second way to fix slab leaks consist of pumping a special type of foam into the broken pipe in order to seal it. This way, water can no longer escape the pipe and reach the surface.
- Re-piping: Sometimes, professional plumbers may decide to remove the entire plumbing system and install a new one. This is mainly performed in old houses where slab leaks occur regularly.
What happens if you don’t fix a slab leak?
If you fail to notice a slab leak early on, you can expect to see considerable damage in various forms. Here are the most usual consequences of an unaddressed slab leak:
- Damaged foundation: Slab leaks can cause your foundation to move or even crack if the leak is more severe.
- Flooring deterioration: If you allow the leak to go on for a longer period of time, you are bound to see waterlogged carpets, cracked tiles and saturated floors.
- Yard flooding: Leaks in your concrete foundation can spread and even end up in your yard, damaging grass, landscaping or outdoor pools in the process.
- Mold: Water from slab leaks tends to reach drywall. As a result, drywall gets soaked and eventually starts growing mold. This by-product of slab leaks is especially dangerous, as it can lead to respiratory illnesses and other health problems.
Taking all these complications into account, it’s highly recommended that you take action to try to prevent slab leaks from ever settling in your home. If they still develop in your foundation, don’t take any chances. Just hire professionals to do the work and handle the hazard.
Book accomplished San Diego slab leak repair experts and have no more worries
You can count on KIC Restoration to always come through for you. Our team of skilled plumbers never fails to rise to the occasion and return your home to its previous condition. Give us a call and our professionals will be in your home in no time to deal with your slab leak once and for all.
You can finally give yourself some leisure time, now that pesky repairs are no longer your concern. Take your family out to Ocean Beach and come back to a safe, hazard-free home. Hire KIC Restoration now!