Mold likes moisture and wood makes an ideal environment for it, because it naturally soaks up water. If you are trying to get mold off of wood, finding professional mold remediation in San Diego might be the answer. A house infested with mold is not a healthy environment, because if you breathe in mold, there can be many side-effects.
What causes mildew on wood?
Wood retains water, creating a moist environment which is suitable for the development of mold. But where does that water come from?
- Humidity – It can come from persistent torrential rain, or if the area you live in is naturally humid. Also, drying clothes indoors can cause high humidity.
- Leaking pipes – If a pipe is leaking, the water might cause mold, especially if the leak goes undetected for a while.
- Leaking roof – Water can leak from the roof into the attic and then on to the room below it, causing mold.
- Condensation – Condensation appears on cold surfaces and such places are prime spots for the development of mold.
- Bad ventilation – When you have poor ventilation, steam and water create moisture which never leaves the house.
- Wet clothes – Clothes which are left wet for a long time can transfer moisture to the nearby surfaces, especially closets and drawers.
How do you get mold off of wood?
The process of removing mold from wood is not as complicated as it might seem, but it’s still best left to the pros. Here are the steps.
- Vacuum the area – Vacuum the area affected by mold to catch all the spores before they spread, remove the bag, tightly seal it and dispose of it. You will need a vacuum with a HEPA filter.
- Use a soap mixture – If mold hasn’t penetrated wood, create a cleaning solution from soap or detergent and water. Use a soft brush to go over the area and exchange soap for vinegar if needed.
- Use bleach – If mold has penetrated wood, you will need a mixture including detergent, bleach and warm water.
- Sand the area – If mold still remains, find some sandpaper and use it gently on the affected area. Afterwards, refinish the wood.
How do you remove mold from wood permanently?
If you have managed to remove mold from wood, it’s time to make sure it doesn’t appear again. Do this by removing the affected wood if necessary and preventing mold growth.
- Dry wet areas – Be sure to dry all wet areas from hereon in, so mold doesn’t find any moisture to thrive on.
- Introduce proper ventilation – Use the AC units and dehumidifiers or fans to reduce moisture. Also, introduce air circulation by opening windows every now and then.
- Direct water away – Check the roof gutters to see if they are possibly damaged or clogged. Make sure the water is directed away from your house, not into it.
KIC Restoration provides splending mold remediation in San Diego
Mold remediation can be an arduous and expensive task if not done right. This is why calling KIC Restoration is your safest bet. We provide top of the line mold inspection, remediations and removal services for all types of surfaces. (https://canablue.com)
Instead of trying to handle the mold issue yourself, go to Mission Trails Regional Park and leave the problem to us. We promise you will be satisfied with the result and that is why we offer a workmanship warranty. Call us for an estimate today!